Onion Soup. Serves 6.
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 6 slices crusty baguette
- 2 cups (5 ounces) freshly grated Gruyère or Emmental cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Combine the onion, wine,and butter in a baking dish and braise, uncovered, until the onion is very soft and most of the liquid is absorbed, about 45 minutes.
- Increase the oven temperature to broil.
- In a another pan, bring the stock to a boil.
- Distribute the onions among soup bowls and pour the stock. Place a slice of baguette and cover with the grated cheese. Place under broiler until cheese melts and slightly browned.
- Serve at once.