- 1 x 3 – 3½ pound chicken
- 2 lb yucca root, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 lb yam peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes(if available)
- 2 large plantain peeled and cut into 1 inch slices (not too ripe)
- 1 bunch green onions coarsely chopped (white part only)
- 3 carrots scrubbed and cut into bite size pieces
- 3 ears corn cut into 1 inch pieces
- ½ cup gringo cilantro leaves and stems, chopped or if Panamanian culantro (leaf resembling dandelion) is used — 1 leaf
- water or chicken broth
- salt and pepper
- Place the chicken in a pot and cover with water.
- Cook over high heat for 5 minutes after boiling.
- Reduce heat and add yams, corn, and cassava. Cook over low heat for 45 minutes.
- Add the onion, bell pepper, cilantro, garlic, salt, and 1 teaspoon oregano.
- Cook 15 minutes more.
- Turn off the heat and add the remaining oregano. Cover and wait 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve the sancocho with white rice.