Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 24 hours
Yields: 10-12 servings
Pronounced "rum punch," Ron Ponche is the Panamanian version of Egg Nog. It is especially popular during the holidays. A glass of Ron Ponche is not meant to be consumed in one sitting, but rather sipped in the same manner as Baileys or any other type of liqueur.
- 10 cans evaporated milk
- 8 egg yolks
- 3 ½ cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup water
- 2-3 cups rum
1. Add first five ingredients to a large pot (a double boiler is preferable).
2. Use a mixer to mix ingredients together thoroughly in pot before heating. Cook on medium to low heat, stirring constantly. Allow mixture to cook for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until ingredients become thick live gravy.
3. Remove mixture from heat. Add 1 cup of water and rum. Stir.
4. Scoop liquid into mason jar or other jar with a lid. Note: Be sure to strain the liquid BEFORE you put it into the jars.
5. Refrigerate until you are ready to serve. For best results, refrigerate overnight.