- 1¾ cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- ½ cup water
- Heat the oil in a large pot.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, and salt together into a bowl.
- Mix then add the shortening.
- Add some water and continue adding as much as needed until mixture becomes a firm dough.
- Cover and sit aside for 5 minutes.
- Take medium sized pieces of dough and form into pattie shapes about ¼ inch thick.
- Fry them in the oil for ⅔ minutes until golden brown.
- Eat it plain or sprinkle white sugar powder or top with some honey and serve while still nice and hot.
- Note: Panamanians typically eat them with hot dogs, which they call "salchichas" and a lot of ketchup. They are also AMAZING with Nutella and Peanut Butter (if available). They are also now called "Fried Bread", they are called Hojaldres.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.